Protein-Packed Snack Hack: 4 Homemade Chicken Jerky Recipes for Your Dog!
Did you know that dogs can eat chicken jerky? Similar to chicken jerky for humans, these recipes are made with fresh chicken breast that is sliced thin and dehydrated until chewy and dry. Unlike human chicken jerky, marinades, seasoning blends, and glazes are omitted from these recipes—these jerky dog treats are 100% pure chicken!
Lots of spices like salt, chilis, and artificial liquid smoke aren’t good for dogs, so it’s important to leave jerky for dogs unseasoned. Because these treats are 100% chicken, they’re safe for humans to eat too, but they likely won’t be pleasant for your palette. Stick to spicy, barbeque, and smoked chicken jerky—leave the “naked” jerky for the dogs!
Here, you’ll learn how to dehydrate chicken for dog treats in air fryer, oven, and food dehydrator so you can make high-protein, tasty treats for your four-legged best friend at home with just one healthy ingredient. Use these as chews, training treats, or even dog food toppers.
1. Baked Chicken Jerky Dog Treats Recipe
|25 jerky strips
This is the easiest recipe for chicken jerky for dogs since it requires no special equipment! To make this chicken jerky recipe dehydrators aren’t necessary, since you’ll be learning how to dehydrate chicken jerky in ovens instead. You can even make this chicken jerky recipe in just over 2 hours, so you don’t need to spend all day tending to a dehydrator.
A recipe created by Amanda Livesay on her blog Fake Ginger, Amanda also has a recipe for beef jerky for dogs if your pup prefers beef or has a chicken allergy. Without further ado, here’s how to make chicken jerky for dogs in your oven!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Preheat your oven to 275℉.
- Prepare two baking sheets by placing two wire racks on top of them. The baking sheets will catch the drippings while the chicken slices bake.
- Slice chicken breast into thin strips, approximately ¼-inch thick. If necessary, freeze the chicken breasts for 30–60 minutes to make them easier to slice.
- Arrange the sliced chicken in a single layer on each wire rack, then transfer the jerky on the rack AND the baking sheets to the oven. Bake for approximately 2 hours or until the chicken is dehydrated.
- Cool to room temperature before serving to your pup. Store chicken jerky in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
2. Food Dehydrator Chicken Jerky for Dogs Recipe
|60 chicken strips
Dehydrated chicken dog treats might seem fancy, but you’re about to learn how long to dehydrate chicken jerky in your home food dehydrator to make the tastiest, healthiest, most satisfying dog-friendly chicken jerky. This process takes a little longer than dehydrated chicken dog treats in an oven, but the crunchy and chewy end product is well worth it.
This recipe for homemade chicken jerky for dogs comes to us from Renee Dobbs’ blog Spoiled Hounds. The recipe not only answers questions like “how do you make chicken jerky in a dehydrator?” but also has detailed instructions for fixing common issues when you are just starting to learn how to make dehydrated chicken jerky.
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Slice the chicken into ¼ to ⅛-inch strips. Slice with the grain for extra-chewy treats or against the grain for more tender, easy-to-chew homemade treats. To make slicing chicken breasts a little easier you can also freeze the chicken ahead of time for 30–60 minutes.
- Arrange the sliced chicken strips directly on the racks of your dehydrator, taking care to avoid letting the pieces touch, creating a single layer on each rack.
- Set your dehydrator to 170℉ and allow the dog chicken jerky to dry for 4–5 hours or until the pieces are crisp and snap easily when bent.
- Allow to cool and store chicken breast jerky strips in an airtight container for up to 30 days in the refrigerator.
3. Air Fryer Chicken Jerky For Dogs
|~25 chicken jerky treats
You’ve seen how easy making chicken jerky in the oven and dehydrator can be, but have you considered dehydrating the chicken jerky in the air fryer? Can you make chicken jerky in the air fryer, or do you need to use a dehydrator or oven?
A recipe developed by Denise from My Life Cookbook, you’ll learn how to make chicken jerky for dogs in air fryer and learn the basics of how to air fry other meats to make your own homemade healthy dog treats.
One of the benefits of learning how to dehydrate chicken in air fryer for your dog is speed. These homemade dog treats can be made in just 2 hours, and you can keep any mess contained in the basket of your air fryer.
- 1 skinless, boneless chicken breast
- Freeze chicken breast for 30–60 minutes.
- Cut the chicken breast into ¼-inch slices against the grain.
- Spray the basket of your air fryer with cooking spray and lay the chicken pieces in a single layer. If you have only one tier in your air fryer you may need to do this in batches.
- Air fry the pieces of dog jerky for 2 hours at 180℉.
- Cool completely before serving and store treats in an airtight container for up to 7 days in the refrigerator.
4. Ginger Chicken Jerky Dog Treat Recipe
|2 hours 45 minutes
|25 chicken jerky treats
While it’s not safe to add things like extra salt to your dog jerky, it is safe to include dog-approved spices like ginger! This recipe was created for the blog Proud Dog Mom and can be made using any dog-safe spices like turmeric or a small amount of black pepper—just don’t be heavy-handed!
- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp olive oil (for greasing)
- Preheat your oven to 250℉.
- Prepare a wire rack by greasing it lightly with olive oil and placing it on top of a baking sheet. The sheet will catch the oil and drippings while the treats dehydrate.
- Cut the chicken breast into ¼ to ⅛-inch slices.
- Lay the chicken in a single layer on the wire rack and transfer it to the oven. Bake for 2 hours.
- Remove the rack from the oven and flip each piece of jerky. Return to the oven and bake for another 45 minutes, or until the treats are crisp.
- Allow the treats to cool fully before serving. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.
Store-Bought Chicken Jerky Dog Treats
Even if you don’t have time to make homemade chicken jerky treats, your dog can still enjoy these healthy, protein-packed chews. Here is a selection of store-bought chicken jerky dog treats that your pooch is going to go wild for.
Air-Dried & Slow-Baked Chicken Jerky Strips from The Dog Bakery
Buy From Shop Rocky Kanaka | $24.99 for 12 oz.
Choose from three unique chicken jerky strip formulas made from delicious chicken and added ingredients to boost your dog’s health. 100% sourced and made in the USA, these chicken jerky treats are made in a human-grade facility and feature powerful natural ingredients that add essential nutrients to your dog’s diet. Let’s take a quick look at each formula:
|Hip & Joint Chicken Jerky Strips
|Hip and joint health
|– Glucosamine- Chondroitin- Pumpkin- Coconut
|Chicken, Pumpkin, Vegetable Glycerin, Coconut, Glucosamine, Hydrochloride, Chondroitin, Vinegar, Rosemary Extract
|Skin & Coat Chicken Jerky Strips
|Skin and coat health, shiny fur, hydrated skin
|– Pumpkin- Coconut- Flaxseed
|Chicken, Pumpkin, Vegetable Glycerin, Coconut, Natural Smoke Flavoring, Sea Salt, Vinegar, Flaxseed, Rosemary Extract
|Immunity & Digestion Chicken Jerky Strips
|Healthy digestion, bladder and kidney health, and supported cognitive function
|– Pumpkin- Blueberries- Cranberries
|Chicken, Pumpkin, Vegetable Glycerin, Blueberries, Cranberries, Vinegar, Rosemary Extract
Chicken Breast Jerky Treats from The Dog Bakery
One of the benefits of buying store-bought chicken jerky dog treats is shelf life! These treats are made with USDA-certified boneless, skinless chicken breast plus all-natural vegetable glycerin and potassium sorbate to keep them fresh and safe for your pooch to eat without needing refrigeration. Made using a proprietary method that involves a 3-day air dry followed by a slow baking process, these tasty treats are wholesome and simple.
Looking for a jerky-like chew for a dog with a chicken or beef allergy? Try making homemade dehydrated sweet potato dog treats to give them the same satisfying chew without the meat!
- 4 Best Allergy-Friendly Homemade Dog Food Recipes
- DIY Training Treats: 5 Easy Recipes to Make Homemade Dog Training Treats
- 4 Vet-Approved Homemade Dog Food Recipes