4 Homemade Sweet Potato Dog Treats: Recipes for Healthy, Dehydrated Chews Dogs Love
Sweet potatoes are a well-known healthy treat for dogs and are even included in many dog food formulas! A fantastic source of vitamin A and dietary fiber, most dogs eat sweet potatoes happily and enjoy the flavor—it’s easy to see why some people say sweet potato dog treats are the perfect balanced snack for your dog.
While there are plenty of excellent options on the market—which we’ll share at the end of this article—we’re starting with options to DIY sweet potato dog treats at home! These recipes are nutritious and delicious, and once you know how to prepare sweet potatoes for dogs in a couple of ways, it’s easy to make adjustments to make these recipes your own.
1. Easy Recipe for Sweet Potato Chews for Dogs
|~40 sweet potato slices (rounds)
Sweet potato treats for dogs are one of the healthiest options you can feed them, and treats that feature just one ingredient are even better! These dehydrated sweet potato dog treats were created by Sam Turnbull from It Doesn’t Taste Like Chicken and are so quick and super easy to make.
Once you learn how to dehydrate sweet potatoes for dogs you can make them into any shape. This recipe makes thick sweet potato chips for dogs, but you could cut these into sticks to make sweet potato fries for dogs instead. Here’s how to make sweet potato chews for dogs in any shape!
- 2 sweet potatoes
- Preheat your oven to 250 degrees Fahrenheit and line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut your sweet potatoes into ½ to ¼-inch slices. You can slice the sweet potatoes however you’d like—this recipe demonstrates rounds, but you can also cut fries or planks.
- Spread the sweet potato slices on the baking sheets in a single layer and transfer to the oven.
- Dehydrate sweet potatoes for dog treats in the oven for 2.5–3 hours until the pieces have dried out and are crispy on the edges and chewy on the inside.
- Allow to cool to room temperature then store in an airtight container and refrigerate. These dried sweet potato dog treats can last up to 3 weeks in the fridge.
2. Thin Cinnamon Sweet Potato Dog Chews Recipe
|50 sweet potato chips
If you want something a little thinner than a dehydrated sweet potato for dogs but still want something chewy like a sweet potato jerky for dogs, you’ll love these simple and super-thin dog treats! Made with sweet potatoes seasoned with ginger and cinnamon, these homemade sweet potato dog treats get toasty and crispy with the help of coconut oil and a hot oven.
Developed by Sues from We Are Not Martha, this method of cooking sweet potatoes for dogs is super quick and can be done in less than 30 minutes. Dehydrated sweet potato dog treats recipes take much longer since you bake at low heat to slowly remove the moisture. This recipe bakes the sweet potatoes to a crisp instead of dehydrating them.
- 1 large sweet potato
- 1 TBSP coconut oil, melted
- ¼ tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- Preheat oven to 375℉ and grease a large baking sheet with a small amount of coconut oil.
- Peel the sweet potato.
- Using a mandolin—or a knife if you are very skilled—slice the sweet potato into 1/16” rounds.
- Spread the slice in a single layer on the baking sheet and brush the top of each slice with a little bit of coconut oil. Sprinkle it with ground cinnamon and ginger.
- Transfer the baking sheet to the oven and cook for 8 minutes. Flip each chip, then return to the oven for an additional 4 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are getting crisp around the edges.
- Allow to cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes to continue crisping, then transfer to a paper towel to absorb extra oil and cool to room temperature.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to one week.
3. Twisted Apple & Sweet Potato Dog Treats Recipe
|1 hour 20 minutes
|8 large twists
If your dogs love crunchy treats but need something like a chew that will last a little longer, these twisted apple and sweet potato treats for dogs recipe is going to become your holy grail. A little more complicated than the other treat recipes on this list, we promise these are totally worth it if you have a pup who loves crunchy cookies!
Best for big dogs, you could also make these into smaller twists if you have a small or medium dog. This recipe comes to us from Jennifer Costello’s blog, My Brown Newfies, and will also teach you how to make sweet potatoes for dogs in your oven.
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 large apple
- 1 egg
- 2.5 cups whole wheat flour
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 400℉ and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut sweet potatoes in half lengthwise and place cut side down on the prepared baking sheet. Transfer the sweet potatoes to the preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes or until fork tender.* Set aside and allow to cool to room temperature.
- Core and chop the apple finely and add to a large bowl.
- Peel the cooled sweet potatoes and mash the soft flesh with a fork. Remove any burned or crispy bits. Add the sweet potato to the bowl with the apple and mix well.
- Add eggs and cinnamon to the apple and sweet potato mixture and mix again to combine.
- Add the whole wheat flour a little at a time, mixing to combine after each addition. Use your hands or a stand mixer fitted with a dough hook to create a firm dough. If it is too sticky, add more flour a tablespoon at a time. Transfer the dough to your refrigerator for 10–15 minutes to firm up.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 375℉ and line your baking sheet with a clean piece of parchment paper.
- Dump the dough onto a clean surface and press down slightly to create a thick disk. Divide the disk into 8 equal pieces.
- Roll each piece of dough into a 16-inch log.
- Using two logs of dough, create long two-strand twists. Cut each twist in half to create 8-inch chews, or quarters to create 4-inch chews.
- Arrange chews on the baking sheet and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove chews from the oven and carefully flip each treat, then return to the oven and bake for an additional 15–20 minutes. If the treats are still a little soft, turn the oven off and allow them to cool in the oven.
- Once cooled completely, these treats can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.
*If you stop here, this is the perfect tutorial for how to cook sweet potatoes for dogs in the oven!
4. Soft Sweet Potato Dog Treats Recipe
|12 mini muffin dog treats
Not all homemade dog treats need to be crunchy! These homemade sweet potato dog muffins are soft and flavorful, plus they’re easy to make and would make an adorable treat for a special occasion like a birthday or gotcha day.
Created by Melissa from Proud Dog Mom, this super cute and healthy treats made from sweet potato for dogs recipe is definitely a must-have in your repertoire. Because this recipe uses already cooked sweet potatoes, you may need to prepare your sweet potatoes ahead which will add time to this recipe. Let’s dive into how to make sweet potato treats for dogs that look like muffins!
- ½ cup sweet potato, baked*, mashed, and cooled
- ½ cup lightly packed carrot, peeled and finely grated
- 1 egg
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- Coconut oil, for greasing
*Check out recipe #3 for a quick tutorial on how to make baked sweet potato for dogs!
- Preheat oven to 350℉ and prepare a mini muffin pan by greasing it lightly with coconut oil.
- In a medium bowl, combine mashed sweet potato, grated carrot, egg, ginger, and cinnamon and mix to combine well.
- Spoon the mixture into the mini muffin tin. Fill each well completely, the muffins do not rise.
- Transfer the muffins to the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
- Cool muffins in the tin for 5 minutes before transferring them to a wire rack.
- Store mini sweet potato muffins in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
Best Store-Bought Sweet Potato Dog Treats
Even if you know how to make sweet potato dog treats at home, everyone needs the convenience of store-bought treats now and then!
Wholesome Pride Sweet Potato Chews
Buy On Amazon | $23.00 for 16 oz.
Made from 100% all-natural sweet potato and nothing else, these sweet potato chews are the perfect size for medium to large dogs.
Solimo Sweet Potato and Duck Jerky
Buy On Amazon | $21.59 for 32 oz.
If your dog likes different textures in their chews, they’ll love these duck jerky-wrapped sweet potato strips!
Cadet Gourmet Sweet Potato Steak Fries
Buy On Amazon | $13.57 for 16 oz.
If you have a smaller dog, these sweet potato steak fries are the perfect size for a quick chew!
Three Dog Bakery Soft-Baked Grain-Free Sweet Potato Woofers
Buy On Amazon | $7.49 for 13 oz.
If you’re looking for a soft sweet potato treat for your pup, these grain-free Woofers will surely be a hit.
- How To Make Homemade Pumpkin Dog Treats—5 Easy Recipes
- 4 Best Allergy-Friendly Homemade Dog Food Recipes
- DIY Training Treats: 5 Easy Recipes to Make Homemade Dog Training Treats