Can Dogs Eat Grapes? Debunking Myths for Curious Pet Parents

Can dogs eat grapes and raisins as an occasional treat? No—grapes are toxic for dogs, and can cause kidney failure in large amounts. Dogs should never be fed grapes, raisins—dried grapes—or foods containing grapes. The type of grape doesn’t matter, and it’s not even safe for dogs to eat small amounts of this fruit. Grape toxicity in dogs can occur quickly, and it doesn’t appear to take much to seriously impact your dog’s health. 

Can Dogs Eat Grapes? 

In this guide, we’ll answer questions like, why can’t dogs have grapes and how many grapes can a dog eat before it gets dangerous? You’ll learn what happens when a dog eats grapes, and get tips for what to do if your dog accidentally gets ahold of this fruit. 

How Many Grapes Can a Dog Eat Before It Becomes Dangerous? 

Can a dog eat 1 grape? Surely they’ll be fine if they have just one or two on occasion, right? Wrong! There is no safe amount of grapes for dogs—even one grape has the potential to cause health issues for your dog. 

If you like feeding your dog fruits, stick to dog-safe fruits like bananas, strawberries, and pears

Why Can’t Dogs Eat Grapes? 

Can Dogs Eat Grapes? 

Unfortunately, we aren’t exactly certain why grapes are toxic to dogs, but we do know that grapes can cause kidney damage and acute kidney failure in dogs. Recent studies and hypotheses from veterinary toxicologists theorize that the high levels of tartaric acid and potassium bitartrate could be to blame for grape toxicity in dogs

Regardless of the ultimate cause, veterinarian warns that dog owners should never allow their dogs to eat grapes in any amount. Evidence suggests that as little as one grape could trigger a toxic reaction in some dogs. There have been anecdotal reports from dog owners who claim that their dogs have eaten large amounts of grapes without incident, but there is little evidence to verify this or to explain why some dogs might not be affected. 

If you suspect your dog has eaten grapes, keep an eye out for these symptoms of grape toxicity for at least 24 hours:

  • Loss of appetite
  • Vomiting or diarrhea
  • Abdominal pain
  • Lethargy
  • Dehydration
  • Excessive thirst
  • Excessive urination

Dogs often begin to show signs of grape toxicity within 6–12 hours after ingesting the fruit, but the risk of kidney damage increases as you get closer to the 24-48 hours mark. For this reason, it’s important to always be monitoring what your dog eats, and to take action quickly if they consume something toxic. 

Can Dogs Die from Eating Grapes? 

Can Dogs Eat Grapes? 

Yes, dogs can die as a result of grape toxicity. Kidney failure is a serious health condition and can be fatal if left untreated. Most dogs will develop one of two varieties of kidney failure within 24–72 hours after eating grapes. If a dog goes into anuric renal failure—where their kidneys are no longer producing urine—most veterinarians will recommend euthanasia. 

What To Do If Your Dog Eats Grapes—When To Call The Vet

The faster you find out that your dog has eaten grapes, the faster you will be able to address the issue, and the higher your chances are of protecting them from kidney failure. Even if you think your dog has only eaten one grape, it’s a good idea to contact your vet immediately if your dog has had grapes. 

Often, your veterinarian will recommend coming in immediately. In some cases, your veterinarian may recommend that you monitor your dog at home for signs of toxicity, particularly if your dog has not ingested a lot of grapes. In other situations, your vet may instruct you to induce vomiting at home, then bring your dog to the vet. 

How Is Grape Toxicity in Dogs Treated? 

If your dog needs to be brought to the vet, they will likely start by inducing vomiting to purge the grapes. Next, your dog will be put on intravenous fluids to prevent dehydration—some vets recommend IV treatments for as long as 48 hours. During this time, your vet will closely monitor your dog’s kidney function, and may administer medications to promote urine production. 

Can Dogs Eat Grapes? FAQ

Can Dogs Eat Grapes? 

We know dogs can’t eat any type of grape—it doesn’t matter what color the grape is, whether or not it’s seedless, if it is peeled, or if the grapes taste like candy, dogs can’t eat them. All grapes are toxic to dogs.

Can dogs eat green grapes?


Can dogs eat red grapes?


Can dogs eat purple grapes?


Can dogs eat seedless grapes?


Can dogs eat cotton candy grapes?


Can dogs eat muscadine grapes?

Also no! All grape varieties are toxic to dogs, but what about grape flavored things or foods with grape in the name? Here are a few quick answers to your questions about dogs and grapes. 

Can dogs eat grape jelly? 

Can dogs have grapes in jelly form? No. Grape jelly and grape jam are made from stewed, crushed grapes or grape juice, and can still harm your dog’s health. Additionally, grape jelly is high in added sugars, preservatives, and other ingredients that can upset your dog’s stomach. 

Can dogs have grape juice? 

No, dogs cannot have grape juice for the same reasons they cannot have grape jelly or jam. 

Can dogs eat grape popsicles?

No. Although some grape popsicles are made with grape flavoring and not real grapes, they are still not good for your dog. 

Can dogs eat grape leaves? 

No. There are no documented reports of dogs developing grape toxicity from grape leaves, but they can be tough to digest and cause gastrointestinal upset. It’s also uncertain whether grape leaves could contain some of the toxins that affect dogs, so it’s better to avoid them. 

Can dogs eat raisins? 

No. Raisins are just dried grapes, and have the same potential as grapes to cause kidney failure in your dog. 

Can dogs eat grape tomatoes? 

Yes! Grape tomatoes aren’t grapes, they’re just small, bite-sized tomatoes. Tomatoes are safe for dogs as long as they are ripe and removed from the vine. 

Related Posts:

Top Rated MultiVitamins & Supplements To Balance Your Dog's Meal

Canine Complete

15 in 1 Multivitamin

Multivitamin Chew