When it comes to finding a puppy pal, there are so many places to turn to. From amazing pet finders and shelters to responsible breeders, there are pups a plenty for everyone! Unfortunately, some people take advantage of our love for the cute and fluffy. Today you’re going to learn about Echo, a double merle dog.

Meet Echo

Echo is a Double Merle Dog

Fondly dubbed the “Hellen Keller” pup by friends and family, Echo is the result of backyard breeding. Emaciated and covered in fleas, Echo was rescued by kind strangers. He was brought to a local shelter, where it was determined that, because of double merle genes, he was deaf and blind in his left eye. Fortunately, his forever family found and adopted him soon afterward.

Since then, Echo has lived a wonderful life of cuddles and playtime with his humans. With patient training, he has since learned a variety of hand signals. Today, Echo loves to romp and play as much as any other dog!

What Echo Wants You to Know About Double Merle Dogs

So, what is a merle dog? In dog breeding, a “merle” is a highly desirable type of coloration or coat. Merle dogs often have lovely blue eyes, and their coats have lovely spots of color. Tricolor merle dogs are brown, white, and grayish-black; the blue merle dog has varied shades of gray. Informally, there are also “bi-merle” coats, which have only two colors. In fact, The American Kennel Club recognizes “merle” as an acceptable pattern in many breeds.

Echo is a double merle dog which is a practice of irresponsible breeders that causes blindness and deafness

Because of their beauty, these dogs tend to fetch high prices on the market. This makes them a prime target for backyard breeders, who will try to produce merle coats without paying attention to the genetics of the parents. 

See also  This Dog Spent Years Chained Up & Starving. Then Her Luck Changed!

What are the Risks for Merle dogs?

a double merle dog is one who has two sets of the merle gene. This can cause a dog to be blind and deaf

When only one parent has the merle gene, there is no concern. However, when both parents have the gene, that’s where things get tricky.

As gorgeous as they may be, evidence suggests that merle genes may contribute to birth defects and health issues. Even responsibly bred merle pups can have hearing and vision problems, as the gene responsible for the coloration predisposes pups to congenital deafness and incomplete eye development

What is a Double Merle?

This shows the genetic possibilities of EACH puppy in a litter bred from two merle dogs. As you can see each puppy has a 50% chance of being born merle, a 25% of being solid/non merle, and a 25% chance of being a double merle.
Image Source: doublemerles.info This shows the genetic possibilities of EACH puppy in a litter bred from two merle dogs. As you can see each puppy has a 50% chance of being born merle, a 25% of being solid/non merle, and a 25% chance of being a double merle.

Often, this haphazard breeding produces unhealthy combinations of genes. A double merle dog is one who has inherited two positive merle genes (MM), doubling their risk for health problems and defects. Whereas a standard merle coat is achieved by breeding a parent with the merle gene with one without, a double merle or SILV is the result of breeding two merle dogs.

When this happens, all of the risks of a merle coat are doubled. Many double merle dogs have underdeveloped eyes, like Echo, and congenital deafness. Sometimes, these pups also have weak immune systems.

Thankfully, double merle dogs are reported to live as long as other dogs of their breed.

Why Do People Breed Double Merles?

In many cases, the problem is not the result of intentional actions. Many double merle pups are the result of backyard breeding, where irresponsible owners breed dogs purely for desirable traits. Unlike a responsible breeder, these folks will disregard, ignore, or be entirely unaware of the genetics of the dogs they breed.

Unfortunately, this has a multitude of terrible effects for the pooches. Many dogs end up being unhealthy and prone to diseases, deformities, and cancer. Less desirable pups may be released to fend for themselves or outright killed.

See also  Sammie's First Bath! 8 Week Chihuahua Rescue Puppy | Unicorn Ball Pit

Backyard breeders are in it for profit. Many of them are only producing puppies to sell, which means that they will try anything to get rare and desirable colorations and traits.

What Breeds Can Carry The Merle Gene?

The most popular breeds that carry the merle gene include:

  • Border Collies
  • Pit Bulls
  • Australian Shepherds
  • French Bulldogs
  • Chihuahuas
  • Labradoodles
  • Dachshunds
  • Great Danes

Photos of Double Merle Dogs

Nala is a deaf and blind double merle border collie
Photo Source: @nala_la_perritaciega_sorda
Nala is a deaf & blind  double merle dog – border collie

Great Dane Puppy is Double Merle
Photo Source @the_lovely_luna_meadow Luna is a double merle dog – Great Dane

Iris is a blind and deaf bulldog double merle
Photo source: @little.iris.girl Iris is a blind and deaf dog- bulldog

What You Can Do

Unfortunately, like puppy mills, many backyard breeders act just within the confines of the law. While their actions are morally wrong, they don’t actually break any laws. Backyard breeding is technically legal across the United States, and the only way to really shut down a backyard breeder is to prove that they are abusing their animals.

Nonetheless, there are things you can do to help!

Know How To Spot a Backyard Breeder

Being able to spot a backyard breeder is as important as avoiding a puppy mill. Many backyard breeders have relatively fair conditions for their pups, and some see nothing wrong with what they are doing. In some cases, these folks are unaware of the complex genetics involved in proper breeding.

Some red flags for a backyard breeder include:

  • Not screening buyers
  • Selling on eBay, Craigslist, or other online venues
  • Inability to provide genetic testing
  • No medical records or poor medical records

Adopt, Don’t Shop

Another way to avoid contributing to the backyard breeding problem is to adopt your next pooch! There are so many amazing charities and shelters out there, and they’re packed with loving dogs looking for a human to take them home. Your next best friend may just be at your local rescue shelter, and you just haven’t met them yet!

See also  Bodhi The Lab Mix Gets His First Thanksgiving

Spread the Word

Finally, you can share this information with your friends and family. If you know anyone on the market for a furry family member, be sure to talk to them about the best practices for obtaining a dog. Together, we can make a huge difference in the lives of pups around the world!

Related: 9 Best Toys for Blind Dogs on Amazon

Top Rated Dog Treats Every Dog Will Love

Jerky - Made in USA

Pumpkin Chews

Fresh Baked Daily Gourmet Treats

Animal Style Slider

      Website TERMS & CONDITION

      ENTERTAINMENT AND INFORMATION ONLY – NOT VETERINARY CARE

      Kanaka Holdings operates an online information and opinion blog and is for educational and entertainment purposes only. Reading this website or using any of the information you expressly acknowledge and understand that there are risks and limitations associated with any advice, recipes, formulas, products given.

      The blog is NOT a substitute for veterinary care, advice, facts or opinions, and we cannot provide advice or consultation regarding such. If your pet is sick, injured, or in need of medical attention, please contact your regular veterinarian or local emergency animal hospital immediately.

      The contents of the Rocky Kanaka website, such as text, graphics, images, and other material contained on the Site (“Content”) are for informational and entertainment purposes only. The Content is not intended to be a substitute for professional veterinary advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of your veterinarian or other qualified provider with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on the Site.

      READ AND USE OF THIS SITE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK

      ROCKY KANAKA / KANAKA HOLDINGS OR ITS EMPLOYEES ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY LOSS, INJURY, CLAIM, LIABILITY, OR DAMAGE RELATED TO YOUR USE OF THIS SITE OR ANY SITE LINKED TO THIS SITE, WHETHER FROM ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THE CONTENT OF OUR SITE OR ANY OTHER LINKED SITES, FROM THE SITE BEING DOWN, OR FROM ANY OTHER USE OF THIS SITE.