This Classic Easter Decoration Will Poison Your Dog
Did you know that many plants are toxic to dogs and cats? Among them are Easter Lilies, the classic holiday decorations known for their lovely smell and delicate petals. If your dog enjoys snacking on plants, Easter Lilies are the last thing you want to bring into your home. Here’s what you can do to keep your pets safe this easter:
What are Easter Lilies?
Easter Lilies are delicate, fragrant flowers that have been icons of the holiday for decades. As a flower that symbolizes purity and innocence, they seem perfect for the Easter season– except they’re toxic to dogs and cats.
Flowers in the lily family may be gorgeous, but not all of them are safe. Here’s how you can keep your pets safe around lilies this spring:
Are Easter Lilies Poisonous to Dogs?
Easter Lilies are poisonous to dogs, but they don’t cause death. If your pup eats an Easter Lily or ingests its pollen, they’ll get lily poisoning. In dogs, lily poisoning looks like:
Are Easter Lilies Poisonous to Cats?
In cats, Easter lilies are one of the deadliest plants around. If a cat is exposed to an Easter lily’s pollen or eats any part of the flower, they will experience lily poisoning. Symptoms of lily poisoning include:
- Lack of appetite
Easter Lilies also cause kidney failure and even death in cats. Try to keep your kitties as far away from these flowers as possible.
Are All Lilies Poisonous to Dogs?
While many lilies are poisonous to dogs, not all of them are. The ASPCA has a fantastic infographic about which lilies you should avoid and which are safe to enjoy in your home. Here’s our short version:
Toxic lilies will cause lily poisoning in dogs and cats, and it’s best to avoid them. Stay away from these lilies!
- Easter Lilies
- Japanese Lilies
- Oriental Lily Hybrids
- Stargazer Lilies
- Tiger Lilies
- Casablanca Lilies
These lilies are still toxic but aren’t nearly as deadly as the ones above:
- Peruvian Lilies
- Lily of the Valley (also called Jacob’s Ladder)
- Calla Lilies (also called Trumpet Lilies)
- Peace Lilies
- Flame Lilies
What Parts of Lilies are Toxic to Dogs?
All parts of poisonous lilies are considered toxic, including their petals, stems, leaves, pollen, and nectar. When pollen counts are high in the spring, it can be easy for your pets to get lily pollen on their fur, especially if you have them in your home or garden. Typically, severe lily poisoning signs occur a day after ingestion.
What to do if Your Dog Eats a Lily
If your fur baby has decided lilies are the perfect snack, contact your local veterinarian immediately. If your puppy’s been outside playing and comes in covered in pollen, give them a quick bath to wash it out of their coats.
If you think your dog’s eaten a toxic lily, contact the ASPCA’s Animal Poison Control Center at (888) 426- 4435. Don’t wait for symptoms– if you think your pet’s eaten a lily, call immediately; It may save their life!
- If You Have a Small Dog, NEVER Let Them Do This
- Buying This Everyday Item Could Land Your Dog in the ER